We, the consumer-owned not-for-profit members of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, endorse these rights for all consumers. We believe this Electric Energy Consumer Bill of Rights represents the standard against which electric utility restructuring proposals at the state and federal legislatures should be measured:
- The right to have access to reliable, affordable and safe electric power.
- The right to join together to establish and operate a consumer-owned not-for-profit electric utility.
- The right of consumer-owned not-for-profit systems to be treated fairly and recognized as a unique form of business.
- The right to elect representatives to manage their consumer-owned form of business to best meet their needs.
- The individual right to privacy that assures information about consumers will not be released without their prior express consent.